What is Reiki?
Reiki (pronounced ray-kee) is the Japanese word for the Universal Life Energy that permeates and sustains our entire world. There is an infinite source of this energy, creating and supporting all of us, the animals, the planets, plus a whole lot more that is unseen by us. This one uniting energy has been used by many cultures in a variety of ways, for example Tai Chi, Acupuncture and Yoga. Forms of the Reiki healing system have been used throughout Japan, Tibet, India and other countries since ancient times. It was Mikao Usui in the mid-twentieth century who re-introduced this ancient healing system in Japan, and now it is becoming increasingly widespread all around the world.
Reiki is a completely natural healing method, accelerating the body, mind and spirit's healing process. Reiki healing sessions naturally encourage holistic health and well-being, balance, purpose and spiritual harmony in yourself and others.
Reiki energy is directly connected to the Source of our universe and our being, and so is completely linked with Universal Intelligence. This intelligence allows it to focus on the most needed areas of healing completely automatically, thereby suiting the needs of the receiver in the very best way.
During the healing sessions you will be placing your hands on the receiver according to traditional methods, but you will not actually be directing the energy to areas within the body. The Reiki energy directs itself to the correct areas, both the exterior bodily symptoms and also the deeper root causes that may exist in the mental, emotional and spiritual connections.
For example the symptom may be a headache but the cause may be stress from a current situation in life. In this case the Reiki would not only help the receiver to release the pain and tension, but also it would help them recognize ways of resolving the stressful situation. In this way, Reiki is a completely transformational method of deep healing.
During the healing, both you and the receiver may feel sensations of heat, cold, vibration, tingling, etc. Sometimes the healer and the receiver experience opposites, for example the healer may experience feelings of heat while the receiver experiences cold.
Other times there will be no experiences at all. Whether or not any sensations are experienced during the healing session, you can rest assured that the energy has flowed correctly and effectively. This is one of the amazing and beautiful gifts of using Reiki, due to it’s intelligence you can always be sure that the session has been very beneficial to the receiver.
Reiki passes easily through absolutely anything, so it is not necessary to remove any clothing during the healing session. This can also be useful when energy is to be passed through plaster casts, and any other obstacles to direct hand contact.
The receiver doesn't need a problem to be eligible for a Reiki session - it's great for relaxation and overall health and well-being. The vast benefits of regular Reiki sessions are innumerable and completely encompass the entire mind/body/spirit connection, greatly increasing the quality of life in every aspect.
Both the healer and the receiver simultaneously benefit from the healing session. The more Reiki sessions you give, the more natural harmony you will experience in your own life. You can even give Reiki sessions to plants and animals.
Unlike other spiritual healing methods, Reiki sessions should always involve NO effort from the healer to send or direct energy. This ensures that the energy uses it's own intelligence to guide itself. After you have been attuned to Reiki, healing energy will naturally begin to flow as soon as you place your hands on anyone or anything AND have the INTENT to heal. It will flow completely automatically and always with positive and beneficial effects.
If you start concentrating on sending or directing energy, it will reduce the optimal flow. Greatest success will occur just by allowing it to work by itself. Always remain relaxed and detached from the process.
It is important to remember that with Reiki there is nothing you can do wrong. Reiki will take care of everything. Relax and enjoy! Trust in Reiki.
The ability to heal ourselves and others already exists within all of us. All that is needed is to learn specific techniques to focus this ability. There are numerous spiritual healing systems that are able to help the individual gain this focus. But Reiki is unique in that it uses Attunements to instantly transform the individual's healing ability into a very effective and powerful force.
Reiki Attunements are not easily described, but can be compared to tuning a radio. The first attunement can be compared to finding a station amongst the static. The second attunement brings the station in clearer. The Master Attunement brings the station in perfectly, leaving the station loud, clear and static-free.
Instead of simply adjusting a radio, we are tuning in the human body's own energy system to the higher energies of the Universal Life Force.
The Reiki Principles
The Reiki Principles are a set of traditional guidelines that are essential to the Reiki system
Just for today, I will not worry
Just for today, I will not be angry
Just for today, I will live honestly
Just for today, I will respect the oneness of all life
Just for today, I will be kind to everyone I meet
Just for today, I will give thanks for my many blessings
These are all common-sense ideas for bringing harmony into our lives, yet our society doesn't usually consider them necessary. Benefit of each Principle
- Nothing is gained through worrying.
- It is better to stay calm instead of allowing anger and stress to enter your life.
- It's difficult to maintain self-respect without living honestly.
- If you respect and are kind to others, your efforts will generally be reciprocated.
- If we focus on the things we appreciate in life, we will not be so disturbed at inconveniences and difficulties.
Actually living by all these ideals may not be quite so easy.
Our healing attempts become far less effective when we fail to employ these concepts in our daily lives, as we lose our harmony with the Universal Life Energy.
We can also make our healing efforts substantially more efficient if we can also encourage the Reiki receiver to try following the Reiki Principles. Perhaps you would like to give them a copy after the healing session.
Other Applications for Reiki
There are so many ways you can use Reiki to improve your life and the lives of those around you. Following are just a few ideas of applications that may interest you. I will not go into too much detail because the applications are limitless and the procedures will vary depending on the circumstances. Use your intuition as a guide, and always remember that even the simplest of treatments will be effective because Reiki energy will ensure success. Be creative And don't forget to use the symbols to enhance your efforts.
- Potted plants love Reiki. Try placing your hands around the pot, allowing the energy to pass through into the root system.
- Animals love Reiki. Don't worry if they keep wriggling around, just place your hands in any way that is convenient.
- The same applies to wriggling babies! A simple touch is enough to allow the Reiki flow. In fact it can flow through any part of your body, so for example you can hold the baby against your tummy or chest.
- Pregnant women will appreciate Reiki, and the unborn baby will benefit simultaneously.
- Those people who unfortunately have life-threatening illnesses may not find a complete removal of their problem, but it will certainly bring peace into their lives and make the process of moving on far easier.
- Group Reiki may be given when a number of Reiki practitioners are available. The energy level will multiply amazingly with two or more healers.
- Reiki can be given to a situation. This can be done by silently contemplating the situation and imagining energy flowing from above, down through your head and out to the situation through your heart and hands.
- Regular Reiki sessions used in conjunction with orthodox medications will usually reduce or eliminate the necessary dosage and the side effects. But be sure to consult with a doctor before making any changes to medication.
- Reiki can be given to non-living things. For example, you may wish to give a little Reiki to medicine before taking it, thereby making it more effective. Or you may give it briefly to your food and drinks to increase their nutritional value. You could even give it to a paintbrush or a musical instrument to help increase the creative ability of whoever uses it.
A little Reiki is better than none, and the more the better. You can't receive too much Reiki. But don't force yourself on someone who doesn't want it!
There is never a situation in which Reiki is inappropriate or in any way harmful.
The Reiki energy knows no limitation. So the only limit is your imagination. You don't have to be solemn and serious while using Reiki. Have fun with it! Good Luck in finding ever more expanding uses for Reiki in your life...